Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Wizard of Oz

I hope everyone is enjoying the first half of The Wizard of Oz. It was interesting to go from reading Alice and Wonderland then transitioning to Oz. It seems like Alice is more of a younger children's book and Oz for older children. They are both fantasy books but they are very different. I found the grammar, sentences and meanings in Alice more for young adults. While Oz is longer and has smaller text, it is more of a children's book. What I found in both stories is that they have significant meanings and symbols. If a child were to read these books they would simply understand the characters and the environments interesting, if an older child reads these books they are likely to see the meanings behind Dorothy's adventure in Oz. Personally I have enjoyed the beginning of Oz alot more than Alice, Alice in Wonderland is quite a strange book.

2 comments:

Jess said...

The Wizard of Oz was a lot easier for me to read than Alice in Wonderland, I’m not sure why but I just went through it a little faster. I still really like the movie, although, it is very contaminated and a lot different overall from the book. The book is a lot scarier, has way more adventures and is a little more appealing to an older audience than the movie is. In the book I think Baum made a point to give everyone a certain personality and have underlying meaning behind them all. I really like this book and will definitely share this with my children along with the movie.

Keying Her said...

I would agree on the fact that The Wizard of Oz was easier to read. As I was reading, it went by much faster too because of the language. It would be easy for an older child to read. Although, the characters were different than Alice in Wonderland. By different, I mean by more general ( like cat and rabbits). In Oz, the characters were a lion, tin man, and a scaracrow. A story can be appealing to a child, but not the characters because some of them can be scary for children. There were more information in the book that I didn't see in the movie. It was interesting.