Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Coraline

This book is my favorite so far. I didn't actually buy this one, just went to Barnes and Noble. I thought it would take me a few times to finish it but I have to say that I got completely sucked in and read it all in one day, in the most uncomfortable chair you could imagine.
At first I thought this book would be a little more realistic, and it would be a lot different than it was, I didn't expect it to turn out the way it did. I really enjoyed the way the black cat was used, when she said that the cat would always run away from her and didn't want to be her friend but there was a cat on the other side who would talk to her and help her through her adventur, I knew it was the same one. When it couldn't talk on her side but she knew it was communicating through the blinking, then as soon as they got to the corridor he continued the conversation as if he had been talking before, I thought that was neat. This book reminded me of Alice in Wonderland in a very strange way. The fact that the young girl was in another world, experiencing talking animals, and trying to find a way back all seemed so similar to me. The way that Coraline outsmarted her evil "other mother" by challenging her to a game just showed that she was a lot smarter and wittier than Alice ever was. It seemed as though Coraline knew when to trust and when not to, when she did make a mistake she was very brave and would continue to say that over and over, even if she wasn't sure she truly believed she was. My favorite part is at the very end, I don't want to ruin it for everyone else but Coraline is very tricky and found a way to get rid of the bad. :)
I found this book in the teen section but I really enjoyed it, the way Gaimen incorporated all the characters from one side to the other, they all had a way of communicating to her, the mice, cat and the dog in a way. He showed that it wasn't just a dream when she got back to her side, and I really enjoyed this factor.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

I actually wanted to comment about Zipes and the reading. I really enjoyed this reading. It was interested to hear Zipes perspective on Harry Potter, I was interested in this reading because this book series is one that I am familiar with, as are so many others. It was interesting that at the beginning Zipes discussed how many responses he recieved from readers about his comments on Rowling and Harry Potter. That shows how people young and old truly love this book series. It was also interesting to read how Zipes describes the series as a phenomenon and how he defines the word. I enjoyed this reading because Zipes did not necessary slam the book series but really integrated so many thoughts and facts about the series into this section, he also included other author's opinions. I have read 3 of the books and never really thought very much about how sexist the books are. Obviously Harry is the hero but as Zipes pointed out Hermoine and Ginny are seen as having roles but not important story changing roles in the books.

Keying Her said...

I think that this book has also been one of the best books I have read for this class. The book started off to a point where I understood it clearly, unlike Skillig where it was difficult for me to understand what was going on. I do agree with the fact that speaking to a cat is similar to Alice in Wonderland. The cat always have something nice and warm to tell Coraline. Most of the things do help and benefit her through her exploration. By the way, I would like to mention the quality of the book. Overall, I enjoyed by book with no doubt. The only thing that was wierd for me was the illustrations of the book. The pictures were not friendly like the ohter books we have read. For the most part, they were dark and scary. As an adult, it doesn't bother me much, but for a younger child to adolescence, it would be a different representation for the story. One of my favorite part of the book is the end of chapter 5 where the cat and Coraline were talking about dinner. It was when Coraline was exploring why the mother wanted her to stay with her and the cat was reasoning with her (p. 65). Just as the mentioned about the challenge, this was really the main point where her exploration expands. This is only what I think.