Monday, April 30, 2007

Deliver Us From Evie

Since the lead blogger has not posted, actually no one has posted I though I would discuss Deliver us From Evie. I have read a little over one third of the book. It was interesting how quickly I realized that the narrarator was placing alot of emphasis on how different and "not girly" Evie is. It was not until I read the note from Patsy that I though wow, Evie is interested in the opposite sex. Then I went back and read the part when Evie was wearing Patsy's sweater at the Halloween party and wondered if that was another hint made by the author. This books has been very good reading. It is a different perspective than the other young adult books we have been reading because Evie is not the narrarator, her brother is. Her family seems to lover her and her brothers really seem to care about her. It is also intersting how her parents really have no clue in the beginning of the book that their daughter not only dresses differently and wants to farm when she grows up, but this could possbily be an issue and Evie could be telling them lightly that she is "different".

2 comments:

Jess said...

This book was so hard to get in to, I still couldn't get sucked in even after half way through the book. I think the fact that it was so realistic played a part in me not liking it. It reminded me of how, with a few things being different, it would be today. In a small town in the country when someone is different everybody recognizes it and that person is normally outcasted. Just because Evie was somewhat manly, or just not feminine she was already labeled "different" but when everyone finally found out she was a homosexual things changed even more.
I am glad Evie came out of the closet. Her family really does love her, between her mom and dad he seems to be the more accepting of the two. Although it may seem like her mom is hard on her,I think she is just looking out for Evie's well being, it may not seem like it to everyone else but thats how I took it. Her brothers care about her deeply, especially Parr, even though he is younger than her he always stands up for his sister and I think that is sweet.
I really didn't like the ending, normally you are left with a happy feeling but this didn't do that for me at all. There was no change in emotion and in most books, movies even television shows there is normally a moral of the story that solves all the problems, but not in this book. I didn't feel as though any attitudes or feelings about Evie's homosexuality had changed in the end.
I couldn't imagine people being quite like that now a days, back in the 90's and before it was a little different. This day in age people are becoming more accepting of those who are "different" and maybe understanding more of where they are coming from.
I think Kerr did a great time with the way the book was written, how it wasn't through Evie's perspective as you would have thought, and also explaning the stereotypes without seeming to be so prejudice himself.
The book was well written, but not my favorite.

Keying Her said...

I really enjoy reading this book. It is true that it is some what realistic, but I think it is interesting when you can see similar things that surround you. I thought the book was easy going and very easy to read. I would agree with the infomation on this blog that it would be different today compared to back then. Back then, if someone was thought of as homosexual, they would be made fun of for the rest of the school years there. Now days, more people are open to those who are different. I believe that the high schools have made it a big issue, but at the same time, most accept it. In the book, Evie was known for being different, which I like to refer to as unique. It's hard to go along with the fact that your sibling is homosexual because it plays a role in who you hang out with. I really appreciate those who loves their family member regards to their sexuality because my brother is in a similar situation, and each and every sibling have gave one and only one thing, "Love." Overall, its good to read or hear about families still loving each other and not fighting due to a sexuality preference.